Are You Coming Out To Practice? Remember To Fill Out Our Practice Polls

2024 Season Practices Begin Sat Jan 6th! ...
Check Practice Poll for actual practice dates.

Dec 3, 2009

Paddler Spotlight - Allan!


Year End Banquet coming up! Allan is excited, are you?

Hometown?
Allan:
Long Beach, CA

Birthday?
Allan:
February 4th

Favorite Food(s)?
Allan:
hmmmm, well chicken and vegetables is the magic combo for me on a lot of days. Pizza, eggs, Hawaiian BBQ, YOGURTLAND!!!! (although I don't get to have it too often). Rice, salmon, and some other things. It comes down to what will feed you for the day.

How long have you been paddling for?
Allan:
joined P.OS.E.R.S. around summer of 2007 (or was it 2006?) and continued paddling only during summers. Joined space dragons in August of 2009 for year round dragonboating.


Why do you paddle?
Allan:
it's a great workout that really trains all the muscles of the upper body, and also for spending time with the great people on the team.


Are you a better Paddler when you are Happy or Angry?
Allan:
I would say angry because whenever I get angry during practice I get an extra rush of energy, and I force myself to focus more on my technique. Plus I love yelling.

Favorite or notable Space Dragon moment(s)?
Allan:
Space Dragon Yardsale of 09, and getting pranked with a certain sex toy at the San Fran Tournament. Thank you Jason and Janice =)

How do you prepare yourself for a Race?
Allan:
I try to really stay strict about my workouts about two - three weeks before the tournament, and focus especially on core, back, and shoulders. I also try to increase my cardio before workouts. A week before the race, I take it easier and rest up the last days before the race.

Any hobbies, activities, interests outside of paddling?
Allan:
Weight Training and working out, keeping up with school work, spending time with friends. Personal Training as a part time job. Contemplating life and the universe.

Any advice for new Paddlers?
Allan:
Being a relatively new paddler myself, I can say from experience that it takes time and patience. Don't beat yourself up about what you're doing wrong, cause everyone does something wrong. Listen to the coaches, train hard outside of paddling, and with time the paddling becomes better. Everyone really goes out of their way to create a positive and supportive atmosphere, so don't feel like they're here to judge you.


Paddling-wise, any particular goals for yourself or the team?
Allan:
I will try my best to be on blue boat by the time Tempe 2010 rolls around. Oh, and to not get sick a week before the tournament would also be nice =)


If you could change one thing about the Team, what would it be?
Allan:
Nothing. The team is great just the way it is.


Favorite part about being a Space Dragon?
Allan:
Being able to spend time with such nice and hard-working people who love to have a good time =)

You have a single brother or sister. What Space Dragon would you consider hooking them up with?
Allan:
well for a brother, any of the women because they're all awesome, and they can all kick your butt and still look pretty while doing it. For a sister...all the guys are ripped and sexy, but it would have to be either galen or jason. (Ed Note: YAY!)


Most interesting character you've met through the team?
Allan:
wow so many to name. Galen, Brian, Jason, Tran, Emily, Pearl, Janice, Robert, Jennifer, Caesar, Wade, Phil, Blanca...just so many to name. A lot of team has been so nice and so outgoing, while at the same time teaching me things that I needed to learn. Everyone has something about them that makes them unique.

Any interesting facts about yourself - or secrets that you want to divulge?
Allan:
If anyone ever feels alone and needs a friend to talk to, I'm always there for them for compassion and support.


Who got you into Space dragons/Dragonboating?
Allan:
I knew the P.O.S.E.R.S. had come from the space dragons when I wanted to do dragonboating year round.


How did you meet him/her?
Allan:
The P.O.S.E.R.S. were friends of a friend.

What is an important life lesson you have learned?
Allan:
Redemption is rarely earned, for a good conscience never learns to truly forgive itself.