Are You Coming Out To Practice? Remember To Fill Out Our Practice Polls

2024 Season Practices Begin Sat Jan 6th! ...
Check Practice Poll for actual practice dates.

Nov 19, 2009

Paddler Spotlight - Kat!


Hometown?
Kat:
Whittier, CA

Birthday?
Kat:
August 10 (born on my parents' anniversary)

Favorite Food(s)?
Kat:
Tacos, tamales, chili/rice, manapua, malasada, char siu bao, mochi, biscuits & gravy (mmmm), sweet tea, pecan waffles


How long have you been paddling for?
Kat:
This November is my one year anniversary

Why do you paddle?
Kat:
I enjoy the challenge that paddling provides, and love the camaraderie of my teammates


Are you a better Paddler when you are Happy or Angry?
Kat:
Apparently angry (case in point: masters' sideways start in Big LB where we came back and passed 2 boats)


Favorite or notable Space Dragon moment(s)?
Kat:
Bubbles and frisbees at Lake Gregory, the kiss to end all kisses (Phil and Ceez), representing SD in the Great White North, and of course, Twinkle Toes in Tempe


How do you prepare yourself for a Race?
Kat:
Eat well, rest, focus my chi (bad out, good in), and light running to control the nerves


Any hobbies, activities, interests outside of paddling?
Kat:
running, hula, golfing (badly), kayaking, grading papers, sewing... rock climbing and surfing are still on the "to do" list...


Any advice for new Paddlers?
Kat:
Stick with it, even when you're sore as hell, and soon you'll have guns like Rod!!


Paddling-wise, any particular goals for yourself or the team?
Kat:
My own goals would include becoming a stronger paddler by focusing on off-water workouts


If you could change one thing about the Team, what would it be?
Kat:
More potlucks... this team can cook!


Favorite part about being a Space Dragon?
Kat:
Again, the potlucks, the laughter & friendship, the hard work and pride,the truly diverse group of people that I consider family!


You have a single brother or sister. What Space Dragon would you consider hooking them up with?
Kat:
I'm not sure I would do that to a fellow teammate!! ha ha...But if I had a hot, young sister I would set her up with Galen. ( Ed Note: YES!!!!!)


Most interesting character you've met through the team?
Kat:
Everyone always seems to identify the teammates that make them laugh with their antics, but I wanted to give a shout-out to Coach Em.

I have truly enjoyed Sundays on the gender boats. Your coaching is inspirational and patient, and you not only make me want to be a better paddler, but also a better teacher... thank you!


Any interesting facts about yourself - or secrets that you want to divulge?
Kat:
Nope, only one person knows those deep, dark secrets... and she's been sworn to secrecy!!!(Ed Note: We will find her! MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!)


Who got you into Space Dragons/Dragon boating ?
Kat:
Scott got me in, but have known Denise for 20 some odd years... I just didn't know she was paddling, so it was a fun discovery to reconnect with a long-time friend.