Are You Coming Out To Practice? Remember To Fill Out Our Practice Polls

2024 Season Practices Begin Sat Jan 6th! ...
Check Practice Poll for actual practice dates.

Aug 21, 2009

Paddler Spotlight - David! Who? Lil Lui! OHHHH!!!

Hometown?
David:
Monterey Park, CA! The MpK 626!

Birthday?
David:
January 26. But when its around January 20ish, it suddenly changes to September 19. Weird sorry if this interferes with your dunking plans, but its like that.

Favorite Food(s)?
David:
Fried Chicken!! Spicy food! Ramen!! In and Out!! Boba!! Lollicup Popcorn Chicken! LnL!! BACON!!!!!! Hm..they all sound so unhealthy…which is why they’re so gooooood.

How long have you been paddling for?
David:
Mm on and off for about 2 years. Usually when I was back from school during vacations while I was out of state, but now since I’m at UCLA I tend to come out more. But its too long tho, getting too old for this.

Why do you paddle?
David:
I get to eat good food after. LnL for the win!! And Ruby’s Garlic Fries!! Woot. Oh and supposedly its good exercise I guess? But then its all the people, so fun, so weird…and so very very perverted

Are you a better Paddler when you are Happy or Angry?
David:
I’m gonna say..happy. Tho I’d like think I’m a better paddler when I’m scared of Joe, Emily, whoever is yelling at me from the front of the boat, or when I really REALLY have to pee. That’s a really good motivator during races to get back fast.

Favorite or notable Space Dragon moment(s)?
David:
Huli in SF!! Man that was fun, and scary. There was a freakiin shark in the waters! A shark! Like the one from Jaws!

How do you prepare yourself for a Race?
David:
When Pearl is watching: I close my eyes and pretend to concentrate. When Pearl is not watching: I stuff my face with food. .

Any hobbies, activities, interests outside of paddling?
David:
I like tennis, racquetball, badminton and ping pong! Pretty much all the racquet sports. Usually if I’m not at practice Saturday Mornings, I’m at the park playing tennis with some old guys….who are smoking….while owning me… =(.

Any advice for new Paddlers?
David:
It hurts like hell!! It really does. Also, if you’re one a boat, and you look up and see Emily sitting at the very front. You should probably jump out and get on another boat, or prepare to very much hate the words "Active" and "Rest" put together. Tho if you see Joe on the front, be prepared to be introduced to a new counting systems, where numbers mean nothing.

Paddling-wise, any particular goals for yourself or the team?
David:
Hmm yea! Woot see the white boat continue to improve! Our noobies are freakin monsters!! Red and blue get into Div A or even in the long run, ALL THREE BOATS in Div A! As for myself, I would like to learn how to rotate better….I just can’t do it.

If you could change one thing about the Team, what would it be?
David:
Since everyone says practice times, I'm pretty sure everyone would want that changed. But the one thing that i Really Really and i mean REALLY change is have LnL open on Sundays, and have Doughnuts for breakfast on Race days. Oh what? That already happened?! Hm, then nothing really. Maybe...a tad bit more younger ladies on our team. Yea yea? k make it happen ladies. Bring out your younger sisters, cousins and sorts. =)

Favorite part about being a Space Dragon?
David:
Probably when we go to eat, you guys should venture up to Monterey Park to eat. Don’t worry about the C grade in the window, the C just means its real Chinese.

You have a single brother or sister. What Space Dragon would you consider hooking them up with?
David:
Sorry guys, Janet is taken. Go ask her who he is..

Most interesting character you've met through the team?
David:
There are soo many. Ceez who reminds me of a Filipino Santa Clause, Brian the bringer of deliciousness, Galen no need for explanation, Joe rather Papa Joe, the Matsunamis aka Matsunami Monsters, Jeremy who lost half his body weight, AJ who the human black hole and many many more to list unless you want the blog entry to be uber long. =)

Any interesting facts about yourself - or secrets that you want to divulge?
David:
Hm…secrets…I tend to fall asleep during the first 20 min of class…always…but somehow able to know what the professor talked about. I like to think I learn better when sleeping, my grades seem to disagree.

Who got you into Space dragons/Dragonboating?
David:
My sister! Actually, it was my Mom. She dragged me out of bed one day to make me go exercise (apparently I was pretty fat and she wanted me to lose weight) with my sister. And since that very day, I’ve been introduced to the incredibly painful sport of dragonboating, oh and the horrors that come when active rest is called. But the people keep me coming, and the phone calls from my sister upstairs at 6:45 AM Saturday morning.

How did you meet him/her?
David:
She’s my sister, I was stuck with her since birth. Tho she pays for all my food when we go eat after, unless she “forgets her wallet”. But she’s cool and awesome! BEST sister anyone could ask for. Btw Jeh, if you’re reading this, I would really like a Trivium Paddle for Christmas/Birthday =).