Are You Coming Out To Practice? Remember To Fill Out Our Practice Polls

2024 Season Practices Begin Sat Jan 6th! ...
Check Practice Poll for actual practice dates.

Jul 10, 2009

Paddler Spotlight - Marty!




Hometown?
Marty:
Moorestown, NJ

Birthday?
Marty:
Keeping it secret to avoid losing my contact lenses by getting dunked in the Marina. - Good thing Galen will guess that it is: 7/10

Favorite Food(s)?
Marty:
My Achilles' Heel; I like ALL foods, even the non-kosher ones that I avoid. EXCEPT shellfish and pork

How long have you been paddling for?
Marty:
Since 2004; makes this my 6th season. Not bad for an old geezer, huh?

Why do you paddle?
Marty:
It's the perfect team sport, I love the teammembers, and it's great exercise as long as one really works at it

Are you a better Paddler when you are Happy or Angry?
Marty:
I don't really know, but I'd guess when I'm happy; "angry" causes loss of focus and control and can cost me timing, efficient stroke, etc.

Favorite or notable Space Dragon moment(s)?
Marty:
There are just too many to really get a handle on them all. I guess my most notable was when I was jockeying for position at a 200m race start a couple years ago and they started the race when I was still way off the start line; a good object lesson! Probably my most favorite was a couple years ago (maybe even the same tournament) when I steered a nearly perfect race and we won by less than a second; I know we wouldn't have won if I'd done anything wrong, like getting us a little sideways at the start or not keeping a perfect line in the lane.

How do you prepare yourself for a Race?
Marty:
I just try to block the plethora of distractions around me and focus on what I'm about to do with either the paddle or the oar.

Any hobbies, activities, interests outside of paddling?
Marty:
Singing with the Pacific Chorale (www.pacificchorale.org) is my big thing. It was a PC member that got me into dragonboating, and I got one of our teammembers into PC, which just goes to show that what goes around comes around. Table games like backgammon, chess, bridge and various card games; sports like tennis and bicycling; lots of reading; spectator sports like baseball, hockey and football (not basketball so much). And I'm always interested in trying something new (hence my beginning dragonboating back in 2004).

Any advice for new Paddlers?
Marty:
Listen to the coaches, have fun, and remember that every one of us started out crummy and got better from there. Don't get frustrated; it takes time (I'm still trying to perfect my stroke).

Paddling-wise, any particular goals for yourself or the team?
Marty:
Sure. Win everything.

If you could change one thing about the Team, what would it be?
Marty:
Frankly, I'd like to see more focus during practice; I personally think that would make a difference in our level of competition. That said, I know everyone has a different style in preparing and improving themselves; and admittedly, the insanity of this team is one of the fun things about it! But I figure there's plenty of time to party after we get off the water.

Favorite part about being a Space Dragon?
Marty:
I can't think of one specific thing; it's the total gestalt of the team that fascinates me and demands my commitment to it.

You have a single brother or sister. What Space Dragon would you consider hooking them up with?
Marty:
I greet each morning with extreme gratitude that I don't have a single brother or sister! I know I wouldn't have to hook 'em up with anyone; the team would be aggressive enough in that respect (especially with my sister; she's a stone fox!).

Most interesting character you've met through the team?
Marty:
Aw, heck. I can't think of just one; practically everyone on the team is intensely interesting, but in different ways.

Any interesting facts about yourself - or secrets that you want to divulge?
Marty:
Now, why would I want to divulge a SECRET?! Interesting facts? To me they're interesting but I'm not sure they'd be so to anyone else. Maybe the most interesting: I've shared the stage in the past with, among others, the following rather famous personalities: Linda Ronstadt, Mac Davis, Liza Minelli, Bruce Springsteen, Zuben Mehta, Eugene Ormandy, Yo Yo Ma, Aerosmith (they were WEIRD!)...

Who got you into Space dragons/Dragonboating? And How did you meet him/her?
Marty:
There's a gal who paddled with IMUA and later Aerodragons, who sings in PC, named Ruthanne Walker. Dragonboating came up in a conversation one virtual day (e-mail), she mentioned that Rick Ikemoto was building a team out at Space Park, and the rest as they say is history.