Are You Coming Out To Practice? Remember To Fill Out Our Practice Polls

2024 Season Practices Begin Sat Jan 6th! ...
Check Practice Poll for actual practice dates.

Jun 30, 2009

Paddler Spotlight - Jackie!

Sorry for the late post but blame her partner who still has not sent me his questionaire after 1 month *AHEM* So some of this may seem a bit outdated...

Hometown?
Jackie:
Irvine, I guess. But my family spent a long time in Apple Valley, whee!

Birthday?
Jackie:
Tactical move, I ain't fallin for it. - Good thing Galen knows it's: 6/1

Favorite Food(s)?
Jackie:
Tomatoes! Which points naturally to Italian food when it contains tomato sauce. I also love most of your traditional Japanese foods - sashimi, udon soup, seaweed, butakim... Oh yeah, and meat. And salads, especially when they contain meat. Don't like most fried foods.

How long have you been paddling for?
Jackie:
About 2 years

Why do you paddle?
Jackie:
I love the Space Dragons! Being with the team is what pushes me out of bed in the morning. I also love playing in the water, especially when I don't get dunked!

Are you a better Paddler when you are Happy or Angry?
Jackie:
When I am Focused. Sometimes anger helps, but it is not reliable. Happiness does not help me paddle better.

Favorite or notable Space Dragon moment(s)?
Jackie:
Beating [mean teams] in one of our mixed races. Making Joe cry after tournaments

How do you prepare yourself for a Race?
Jackie:
Shake my body out, relax, think about things we've practiced, review any snitches I've been having with form.

Any hobbies, activities, interests outside of paddling?
Jackie:
Climbing, snowboarding, hockey (until it broke me)... I'll be back! I also love to read (before bed is nice) and eat yummy food.

Any advice for new Paddlers?
Jackie:
Listen to the coaches, and have fun. You've picked the best team in Long Beach! =)

Paddling-wise, any particular goals for yourself or the team?
Jackie:
Guts and glory race in Alcan - let's do it! One of my other team goals is already there, which is make the blue boat competitive with the red boat. =) Awesome job, guys!! The devotion and discipline from everyone on the team is really paying off.

Personally, I'd like to test and make it onto the national team one year.

If you could change one thing about the Team, what would it be?
Jackie:
Make everyone live closer together so we could hang out more. =)

Favorite part about being a Space Dragon?
Jackie:
The respect and love that everyone shows each other. It's a rare thing.

You have a single brother or sister. What Space Dragon would you consider hooking them up with?
Jackie:
IF I had a single brother, I'd hook him up with Joanne.
IF I had a single sister, I'd hook her up with Charlie.

Most interesting character you've met through the team?
Jackie:
AJ, you weirdo.

I have to say, though, I really love our coaches. They are so instrumental in keeping our team as fun, friendly, open and loving as it is. And they do such a good job! <3>

Any interesting facts about yourself - or secrets that you want to divulge?
Jackie:
I only have 2+2 pinkies.

Who got you into Space dragons/Dragonboating?
Jackie:
Emily. But credit goes to Robert, because he kept talking to me about dragonboating at work. =)

How did you meet him/her?
Jackie:
We're um, sorority sisters. Har har har.