Are You Coming Out To Practice? Remember To Fill Out Our Practice Polls

2024 Season Practices Begin Sat Jan 6th! ...
Check Practice Poll for actual practice dates.

Apr 29, 2009

Paddler Spotlight - Mayana and Jim!!!



Hometown?
Mayana:
Medan, Indonesia. Moved to US in Jan 1990
Jim:
Born in Taipei, Taiwan. Mostly grew up in Lawrenceville, NJ.

Birthday?
Mayana:
12/11
Jim:
1/29(and still undunked!) ed note: Sounds like a challenge to me!

Favorite Food(s)?
Mayana:
I like most of the foods as long as they are cooked. My favorite Indonesian foods: Sate Padang, Pergedel Jagung, Rendang, and many more.
Jim:
Korean BBQ, Indian, Curries, Cherries, Peaches, Fruits of all kinds.

How long have you been paddling for?
Mayana:
About 1 year 6 months and a groupie for SD for a season.
Jim:
Joined SD just before San Fransisco in '07. I had been paddling on the Alpine corporate team earlier that year.

Why do you paddle?
Mayana:
It's hard to motivate myself to work out, outside of practice, and since I go to practice with my hubby all the time, I have no excuse to skip practices.
Jim:
Exercise, fun, maschicism.

Are you a better Paddler when you are Happy or Angry?
Mayana:
Happy. When I am angry, I lose my concentration because I keep thinking the things who have made me angry.
Jim:
I generally don't feel either while paddling. I just want to win!

Favorite or notable Space Dragon moment(s)?
Mayana:
The most recent tournament at Tempe. We showed other teams that SD was not a mediocre team anymore, we are one of the "Big Boys". Other notable moment was Portland tournament (you have heard "the story", so I am not going to repeat it) and it's stinky PFDs.
Jim:
Pool party in Portland, freezing flip in 'Frisco, Rod's guns being too much for the poor oar (Rod's big biceps breaking the ...?).

How do you prepare yourself for a Race?
Mayana:
Light cardio a week before the tournament. Keep telling myself to give what I have during each race and to calm down, because I get anxious and nervous right before races.
Jim:
I don't really do anything other than show up.

Any hobbies, activities, interests outside of paddling?
Mayana:
Sleeping and SLEEPING
Jim:
Scuba, poker, playing piano, computer games (including a recently diagnosed Rock Band 2 addiction), reading, ice hockey. Also there's a bunch of stuff I like, but don't actually go and do that much: travel, dancing, and anything Jason Hafer organizes outings for (hiking, bicycling, and sailing for example).

Any advice for new Paddlers?
Mayana:
Don't take our coaches comments or suggestions as insults. They want us to be the best paddlers. Jim:
The first few practices can feel very awkward and difficult. Stick with it, it's worth it!

Paddling-wise, any particular goals for yourself or the team?
Mayana:
I would like to be a strong and an efficient paddler like Pearl or Emily.
Jim:
Under 2 minutes!

If you could change one thing about the Team, what would it be?
Mayana:
Nothing, I love our team!
Jim:
Practice times. The weekend practices (Saturday particularly) I would prefer later, and Wednesday's conflicts with hockey too often.

Favorite part about being a Space Dragon?
Mayana:
Our team is cool. We know how to have fun and at the same time, we know how to kick some azz. Jim:
The people, the competition. Hearing Wade being so intensely positive and Em jumping around with a big grin on her face after we do well.

You have a single brother or sister. What Space Dragon would you consider hooking them up with?
Mayana:
Dohhh....everyone knows this answer. GALEN. (ed note: YEAH!!!!)
Jim:
I'm not hooking up anyone till I get hooked up.

Most interesting character you've met through the team?
Mayana:
Ohhh... I can't choose, so many of you have your weirdness.
Jim:
I don't know. You're all so bland and boring. In all seriousness there's so many characters on the team I'm not even going to try and pick one.

Any interesting facts about yourself - or secrets that you want to divulge?
Mayana:
I don't have any secrets because I can't keep one :-(
Jim:
Nope, nothing to see here, move along.

Who got you into Space dragons/Dragonboating?
Mayana:
My sexy husband, Robert.
Jim:
A coworker got me into the Alpine team. Wade and Alex (Panganiban) got me to come out to Space Dragons.

How did you meet him/her?
Mayana:
I forced him to marry me (just kidding).
Jim:
I work with all three at Alpine.









Mayana decided to add her own question “ PS. I added a question that was deleted by the editor: Is Galen a hottie? "

No.........If you don't believe me, check out our April 18th Yard Sale (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=321119&id=1403947419)