Are You Coming Out To Practice? Remember To Fill Out Our Practice Polls

2024 Season Practices Begin Sat Jan 6th! ...
Check Practice Poll for actual practice dates.

Apr 8, 2009

Paddler Spotlight - Grace and Scott!!


Hometown?
Grace:
Born in San Fernando Valley, grew up in Inglewood.(Not a valley girl, but growing up my cousins knew me as the gansta in da' family. You can't tell anymore, right?)
Scott:
Born and raised Cincinnati , Ohio . Four years in Rolla , Missouri for undergraduate degree. I love Southern California and will never leave.

Birthday?
Grace:
5/18
Scott:
4/17

Favorite Food(s)?
Grace:
Saucy, seasoned ethnic foods like Indian & Thai. Flour-based foods like noodles & dumplings
Scott:
Japanese (minus Sea Urchin), Italian, Korean, Chinese, and Peruvian, (pretty much covers the world)…

How long have you been paddling for?
Grace:
Since April 2007
Scott:
This is our third season

Why do you paddle?
Grace:
I feel good after our practices/workouts even if it is soreness. I know that if I haven't worked out all week, I can definitely depend on Space Dragons to kick my butt. I am inspired to strive for more (physically+mentally) by my teammates, especially the other females on the team, when I see what they can do. I enjoy doing other outdoor activities with people on the team. Lastly, if I don't paddle, my belly blubber comes back. But that's a secret.=P
Scott:
The people – SD is our family. Having Kameron and Samantha not only accepted, but adopted by the team is a true testament of what makes Space Dragons special.
Stress management – What a release, being able to dump the days/weeks anxieties, frustrations, issues 2-3 days a week is therapeutic mentally and physically.

Are you a better Paddler when you are Happy or Angry?
Grace:
Happy as I am better able to keep my technique instead of powering through with my arms.
Scott:
Neither. I seem to enter my own world when paddling. Everything else goes away becomes unimportant and the clarity of my domain becomes the boat.

Favorite or notable Space Dragon moment(s)?
Grace:
I will also remember our Portland competition when we all panicked in the boat when AJ, our steersman, screamed "Where is the flag!?! I can't see the flag!" and Devant, our flag catcher, had only 1 contact on. Thankfully, we didn't paddle into any other boats and Devant caught our flag. I also love our moments AFTER a grueling practice and land workout which is LUNCH time at a restaurant that I haven't been to. I also love our trips as a team whether it be a day-long hike, a bike ride along the beach, sledding and playing games in Mammoth, and walking the streets of Portland.
Scott:
Not when we flipped in San Francisco , but when we ALMOST flipped in Long Beach during our late Wednesday night practice in the channel with no help around. The current was going out the waves were pretty rough. It was Felicia’s second practice and Dominic’s first practice. It was the first time I heard nervousness in Em’s and Wade’s voices. When we got back, Dominic screams, “I love dragon boating, does this happen all the time?!?!”.

How do you prepare yourself for a Race?
Grace:
I think of everything that our coaches have taught us to do during practices. The suggestions that Wade gives really stick i.e. "Show your titties to your partner!"
Scott:
It has taken me three seasons’ to figure out that adrenaline is my worst enemy. Forcing myself to relax and remain calm until we reach that finish line has made me a better paddler during races.

Any hobbies, activities, interests outside of paddling?
Grace:
Trying almost anything new is an interest! I love outdoor activities, all kinds of dances, to listen to music that is danceable, art, travel, languages, culture, kids at work, photography, health & wellness, any Bubble-shooter like games, number games, Scrabble, cook, eat, comedy and/or action movies/shows, some musicals. I like to hang out with friends and introducing them to new activities.
Scott:
None except for chasing jazz concerts, marching band performances, talent shows, track meets, baseball games, etc for Kameron and Samantha. I try getting a round of golf in once in awhile. I also bicycle, maintain cars, work on the house, etc…

Any advice for new Paddlers?
Grace:
Be open to suggestions from different people on the team as you figure out what positions feel best for you
Scott:
Enjoy the experience; the people, being on the water (even if it’s smelly), the outdoors, the excitement of tournaments. The coaches will take care of the paddling and Tylenol while soaking in a hot tube will take care of the aches for the first three practices.

Paddling-wise, any particular goals for yourself or the team?
Grace:
I want to build my strength and endurance so I can paddle longer and harder without losing my technique. I want to be in at least 3 competitions this year. I really want to see the women's boat place higher in the ranks when we compete.
Scott:
Utilize the 2009 Tempe tournament results as motivation for SD to continually improve and for me to be my best to do what is needed to contribute to the team’s success. I love the fact that while we are not physically intimidating, we continue to win!

If you could change one thing about the Team, what would it be?
Grace:
I wish the Team practiced and lived closer to me!
Scott:
Having Galen fulfill his dream… was it calling a major race or something else? (Editorial note: Thanks for helping a brotha out!)

Favorite part about being a Space Dragon?
Grace:
There are fun, loving, hard working, people that inspire me to do more with myself.
Scott:
Being a part of an extremely diverse group of wonderful, competitive, fun loving, people with no hubris is what makes Space Dragon’s special. Space Dragon’s have been more of a family for us than some of my family.

You have a single brother or sister. What Space Dragon would you consider hooking them up with?
Grace:
Hmm…this is a hard question as I don't have a brother or sister. However, there are people on the team that I might consider going on a date with...
Scott:
Why would I want to subject anyone on the team to a life of misery? Just kidding. Sorry, my sisters are married.

Most interesting character you've met through the team?
Grace:
AJ, Yilin, Kevin, Jason, Mayana, Devant...all in a good way! I can't put Galen because I knew him pre-team.
Scott:
Can’t name a particular person. Everyone on the team is an interesting character. Since I’ve done some coaching for the POSERS, I will say that what the coaches and the staff do for the team on a continual basis is truly amazing.

Any interesting facts about yourself - or secrets that you want to divulge?
Grace:
I would love to learn to drive stick really well and drive on a circuit.
Scott:
Caesar makes me hot.

Who got you into Space dragons/Dragonboating?
Grace:
Galen!!! We went to High school together! (editorial note: she actually wrote YOU!!!)
Scott:
No comment other than she has blue eyes.

Finally the most important question: “Is Galen a hottie?” Has been retired since the answers were an resounding YES. Add in the comment section any additional questions you want to ask your fellow paddlers.