Are You Coming Out To Practice? Remember To Fill Out Our Practice Polls

2024 Season Practices Begin Sat Jan 6th! ...
Check Practice Poll for actual practice dates.

Dec 10, 2008

Paddler Spotlight - Denise & Kameron




Birthday?

Denise: 6/9

Kameron: 9/17

Hometown?

Denise:  Born in Florida, lived all my life in So Cal
Kameron: Chatsworth, CA


How long have you been paddling for?

Denise:  Started in April 2004, this is my 5th season!!   =)
Kameron: almost 2 years

Why do you paddle?
Denise:  I paddle because I love being outdoors, it's a great workout and I love racing.
Coming across that finish line (especially in 1st) is a rush!

Kameron: Partly to stay in shape, but mostly because
through paddling I can say that I am a part of such a wonderful group of people.


Favorite or notable Space Dragon moment(s)?

Denise:  Favorite SD moment... was surprising Joe & Yonnie with a celebration for their marriage.   
Notable SD moments – 
1) Paddling like a madwoman with San Diego women in my first SF tournament (2004)  
2) SD Red making it to Division 1A finals in LB 2008 
3) SD Blue winning gold both in LB & SF!!  
4) Having Joe and Wade shed some tears in LB & SF!  
We love our coaches and captains!

Kameron:
I have a couple favorite memories:
1) Paddling out in the channel, especially when
you're stroking and the wind is blowing the mist in your face
2) Whenever the team does something together off the water,
there are always good memories
Most memorable was flipping over in the bay. Good times.


How do you prepare yourself for a Race?

Denise:  Let coaches try to kill me in practices,
try to get lots of rest and eat smart!

Kameron: Visualize what I have to do, prepare myself for what I'll feel during the race.
Also psyching myself up and convincing myself to put it all on the water.


Any hobbies, activities, interests outside of paddling?

Denise:  Concerts (BIG music fan), travel, spend time with friends & SD family,
good books/movies..but my biggest job is being a mom to Zach and well,
a whole bunch of Space Dragons at times!

Kameron: Baseball, Alto Saxophone, Outdoors Activities? (Though I don't do much)


Favorite Food(s)?

Denise:  Seriously?  Ummm...where do I start? 
Kameron: It really depends what I'm craving, but overall
I'd have to say an In-And-Out Double Double with a side of Animal Fries =P


Any advise for new Paddlers?

Denise:  Stick with it!  I know it seems so confusing at first trying to remember how to rotate, lean,
push off all at the SAME time, but after a few practices you will just get it!
And have fun! This is a crazy group and we love our newbies!

Kameron: Don't give up. Practices are gonna be hard in the beginning, but after your first tournament you'll get hooked.

Paddling-wise, any particular goals for yourself or the team?
Denise:  Goals for the team:  to continue to push ourselves to improve and stay up in the top division ... and have fun!  
Goals for me:  I'm just a little bitty part of this mighty Space Dragon team! 
Kameron: I want the team to go to Alcan and do well against the most competitive teams.


Are you a better Paddler when you are Happy or Angry?

Denise:  I think I'm a better paddler when I pay attention!
Kameron: Probably when I'm angry. When I'm happy I really don't have a motivation to paddle hard,
but when I'm angry, for some reason I feel relief through paddling. Like I'm taking it out on the water.


Favorite part about being a Space Dragon?

Denise:  SD Love, SD/Ripple love, Circle of Love, Year-end Banquet, how we help each other...
all having to do with the people. A very diverse and lovable group,
including our sister team, Ripple Effect!!

Kameron: I get to meet lots of fun people and go to lots of new places.


You have a single brother or sister. What Space Dragon would you consider hooking them up with?

Denise:  Ooh, hard one, but I'm an only child... 
Kameron: NO ONE!!!!! They're all too old.

Most interesting character you've met through the team?
Denise:  How much time do you have? 
Kameron: Probably Ceez/ Deej. They have interesting stories to tell.
(Don't know which of the two is more interesting)


If you could change one thing about the Team, what would it be?

Denise:  Run the "perfect" race so Joe would smile...ALOT!!
and then he would have to buy all of us margaritas!

Kameron: Nothing. I love the team the way it is. But the addition of a high school team would be nice.


Any interesting facts about yourself - or secrets that you want to divulge?

Denise: Oh no, no, no....never want to give away all the mystery!

Kameron:   Well I used to skateboard...a lot. And my dad had to pay a couple medical bills for my broken bones. 
Not really a secret but I don't think many people knew that about me.