Are You Coming Out To Practice? Remember To Fill Out Our Practice Polls

2024 Season Practices Begin Sat Jan 6th! ...
Check Practice Poll for actual practice dates.

Nov 6, 2008

Paddler Spotlight - Stephanie & Rod

Step & Rod lead-off on what will be a continual feature of our website - Paddler Spotlight!


Birthday? ?
Step: 3/4
Rod 1/16

Hometown?
Step:
la palma
Rod: Gardena, Ca

How long have you been paddling for?
Step:
11 years
Rod: I'll be starting my 4th season in 2009.


Why do you paddle?
Step: i love being a part of something where people work towards a common goal and have fun doing it.
Rod: I've always been involved in sports in one way or another. I like the thrill of competition and being able to push myself as hard as possible in order to achieve my personal goals as a paddler. I enjoy paddling because I like being in the water and challenging myself to be better.



Favorite or notable Space Dragon moment(s)?
Step:
practically open water racing in the channel. wind and waves and the paddle getting nothing but air on a few strokes.
Rod: My favorite moment is when our boats cross the finish line 1st. Most notable is going for a swim in San Francisco.


Any dislikes or complaints about the sport?
Step: long beach water is freaking disgusting!
Rod: If I had any I wouldn't be part of the "Space Dragons" family.


Any hobbies, activities, interests outside of paddling?
Step:
music, books, and traveling
Rod: I enjoy weight training, wushu (although I don't practice any more I still enjoy watching it), surfing (wish I had the time to go more often), fishing and playing basketball.


How do you prepare yourself for a Race?
Step: try to get enough sleep (which is why i'm always napping at tourneys)
Rod: Train as hard as my body will allow me to. Try to avoid junk foods. Take my vitamins and supplements (no steroids or HGH). Get enough sleep.


Favorite form of Wobbly Pop?
Step:
lemon drop shots
Rod: Wobbly Pop...don't touch the stuff any more.


Any advise for new Paddlers?
Step:
be prepared for butt chafing!
Rod: The only advise that I would give to new paddlers is...Don't get discouraged. Listen to the coaches. Try not to miss any practices and try to have fun.


Are you a better Paddler when you are Happy or Angry?
Step:
what are you talking about? i'm a great paddler no matter what!
Rod: I would tend to be a better paddler when I'm in a Happy Paddler mode. Everything seems to come together more naturally. My body is more relaxed and my breathing is more controlled. I perform better.


Favorite part about being a Space Dragon?
Step:
i LOVE the space dragons attitude! coaches only ask that you do your best. focus on your own performance, no putting down other teams, and have fun. what else is there?
Rod: The people. You guys/gals are the best!


Name a fellow Space Dragon (or five) of either sex you would want to hook-up with a close-friend, family member...maybe yourself :) ?
Step:
i think i have a girl crush on jackie; she's awesome!
Rod: Wade...I'm not quite sure I understand the question or what you are looking for in an answer. I think I'll pass on answering this one just to be safe.


Most interesting character you've met through the team?
Step:
galen!
Rod: Got to be Galen. He really knows how to have fun. But when it comes down to racing he is all business. I like the way he gets into everybody's faces and gets them pumped. We are very fortunate to have him on the team.


If you could change one thing about the Team, what would it be?
Step:
more boys ages 24-30. haha!
Rod: humm...can't think of anything to change.


Any interesting facts about yourself - or secrets that you want to divulge?
Step:
nono, secrets are secret for a reason. ;)
Rod: I could still get 10 reps with the 80 lb dumbbells on the flat and incline bench. Hope to get to the 90's by the end of the year.