Are You Coming Out To Practice? Remember To Fill Out Our Practice Polls

2024 Season Practices Begin Sat Jan 6th! ...
Check Practice Poll for actual practice dates.

Nov 12, 2008

Paddler Spotlight - Jane & Dwayne

Birthday?
Jane: 12/20
Dwayne: 1/9


Hometown?
Jane: Yokohama, Japan
Dwayne: La Canada, CA


How long have you been paddling for?
Jane: Since 2002 when we were still TRW.
Dwayne:
2 years with UCI, 1 year with Space Dragons


Why do you paddle?
Jane: Because Mike, Donna, and I started the team. I love being on the water and it's a good workout.
Dwayne: So I can have lunch with the team afterward. haha jk. The sport keeps me motivated to stay in shape, and the team camaraderie is something that keeps me coming back.



Favorite or notable Space Dragon moment(s)?
Jane: A few: 1) AJ screaming "where's the flag" in Portland. 2) Coaches making us continue practice with the boat full of water after we almost capsized one Wed nite. 3) Paddling at what felt like "lightning speed" with the San Diego Woman's team at Lake Merced
Dwayne:
Land practices! jk, really my favorite Space Dragon event is the end-of-the-year dinner, because you get to look at our achievements over the past year and the gift exchange is always a blast.



Any dislikes or complaints about the sport?
Jane: Pain
Dwayne: Land practices kill me, but its useful because it helps me measure my athleticism.



Any hobbies, activities, interests outside of paddling?
Jane: Nothing out of the ordinary. Crafts, dance, movies, plays, concerts, yoga, pilates, etc.
Dwayne: Cooking, but Robert and Mayana's pumpkin muffins and Marina's banana bread is so much better. Let's leave the cooking up to them.



How do you prepare yourself for a Race?
Jane: Rest
Dwayne: I usually work out longer and more often the coming weeks before the race. I want to make sure I'm in peak condition, so I know I tried my best for the race.



Favorite form of Wobbly Pop?
Jane: Am I limited to one? Old stand-bye is regular margarita on the rocks, no salt. I enjoy Martini and Mojito. Loved Pisco Sour in Peru!
Dwayne: Wobbly Pop?



Any advise for new Paddlers?
Jane: At some point it does get easier but it never gets easy.
Dwayne:
All hail Coach Joe.



Are you a better Paddler when you are Happy or Angry?
Jane: Happy of course. Anger is wasted energy.
Dwayne:
Angry like the Hulk. You want to hit that water so hard, that you know your dig and pull was substantial.



Favorite part about being a Space Dragon?
Jane: Friends and big hugs.
Dwayne:
Being the most fun team in the history of the sport!



Name a fellow Space Dragon (or five) of either sex you would want to hook-up with a close-friend, family member...maybe yourself :) ?
Jane: Not much of a match maker ... and I'm very happily married.
Dwayne: Galen, if he can break my friend who thinks she's too good for anybody. I believe he can do it! haha.



Most interesting character you've met through the team?
Jane: I take the 5th so I don't get in trouble.
Dwayne:
Devant the Human Ipod. This guy probably knows any song that you name, INCLUDING its lyrics.



If you could change one thing about the Team, what would it be?
Jane: More sense of urgency? But I know that's what makes us SD, right Joe?
Dwayne:
Ripple Effect's Kaluha cake after every practice. haha.



Any interesting facts about yourself - or secrets that you want to divulge?
Jane: Some things are better left secrets.
Dwayne: I actually wish gas prices were higher. Then maybe there would be less traffic.