Are You Coming Out To Practice? Remember To Fill Out Our Practice Polls

2024 Season Practices Begin Sat Jan 6th! ...
Check Practice Poll for actual practice dates.

Nov 19, 2008

Paddler Spotlight - Arlene & Jeremy



Birthday?
Arlene:
3/9
Jeremy: 11/23


Hometown?
Arlene:
Del Aire – suburb of Hawthorne/Inglewood
Jeremy: Redondo Beach


How long have you been paddling for?
Arlene:
2 years (tech: July-Sept 2007 & July-Oct 2008 = SF tourney)
Jeremy: One season, since Jan '08


Why do you paddle?
Arlene:
Adrenalin & the people (meaning SD teammates). As much commitments that I have with family life, I want to keep coming back to the Space Dragons family.
Jeremy: Emily tricked me into it!


Favorite or notable Space Dragon moment(s)?
Arlene: No notable moment, but favorite moments are being part of a race and cheer section as you watch our team cross the finish line.
Jeremy: Favorite moment was when everyone forgot that I owe the team Korean BBQ!!


Any dislikes or complaints about the sport?
Arlene: Nah
Jeremy: The smelly db practice clothes if I don't wash them right away.


Any hobbies, activities, interests outside of paddling?
Arlene: Masseuse
Jeremy:
Working on classic cars, working out, running, various sports


How do you prepare yourself for a Race?
Arlene: Stretch the muscles more (yoga) and get more cardio in, so the anxiety of racing doesn’t get to me. (That’s why after a race you feel like you want to bang or be banged! That’s why I don’t bring my better half to a tourney; so I wont get distracted).
Jeremy: Nothing special. Rest, light meal, stretch.


Favorite form of Wobbly Pop?
Arlene: Sorry, I don’t know what Wobbly Pop is.
Jeremy: The kind with zero calories


Any advise for new Paddlers?
Arlene: Listen to the coaches (they really do give improving advise) and have fun with the team. Everyone was a newbie before you.
Jeremy: Stay off of Joe's boat!!!


Are you a better Paddler when you are Happy or Angry?
Arlene: I am a better paddler when we are pumped up as a team: Inspired (if Happy I’m too relaxed and if Angry, I would not want to paddle).
Jeremy: What does angry mean?


Favorite part about being a Space Dragon?
Arlene: As many times as I show or not able to show; I am still welcomed as if I was a seasoned veteran of the team. Enjoy the SD love.
Jeremy: I have so many favorite parts its too hard to choose.


Name a fellow Space Dragon (or five) of either sex you would want to hook-up with a close-friend, family member...maybe yourself :) ?
Arlene: Dangerous Question!!! (all I saw in this question was the word SEX). I cannot answer this. I love both sexes!!!
Jeremy: None, we are one hell of an ugly team!


Most interesting character you've met through the team?
Arlene: Cannot say, I think our team is sooo diverse. I thought of something to say about each team-mate. Each person has different backgrounds, interest, and levels of expertise; but when we come together, everyone becomes ‘One Team’. (that’s why I love coming back).
Jeremy: Galen is "interesting" to say the least


If you could change one thing about the Team, what would it be?
Arlene: Tuff one, no suggestion of changes from me; that’s why I’m not a captain or a coach.
Jeremy: I gotta worry about being part of a team that would have me as a member. We should be more selective!


Any interesting facts about yourself - or secrets that you want to divulge?
Arlene: Hell no, never written! See me at a party and you will get to know my interesting facts.
Jeremy:
I actually wore a "fat suit" the whole time and just removed it to win the Biggest Loser Contest!